Tomorrow, 20 June 2019, is Clean Air Day.
Air pollution is real and harms the health of millions of people. But we can all do our bit to improve air quality and look after our own and other people’s health.
As part of our 2020 strategy, we are working hard to lower emissions and have a overall goal to meet the Scottish Government’s ambitious Climate Change targets. By 2020 we will have cut our emissions footprint by 42%, reduce particulates by 75% and operate at a minimum of Euro 5 buses.
We are committed to providing environmentally friendly transport and have made substantial investments in low emission buses. Our new Euro 6 buses see up to a 98% reduction in harmful emissions.
Did you know…
- One full double decker low emission bus can remove up to 75 – 100 cars from the road, reducing congestion and improving air quality
- The latest Euro VI buses are 95% cleaner than previous models and emit fewer emissions than the average Euro VI car, despite having 15-20 times the capacity!
- Only 4% of road transport greenhouse gas emissions come from bus and coach. 60% comes from the car.
- 5% of the UK bus fleet is zero-emission, the highest percentage of any road based mode of transport
- The Transport Scotland Green Bus Fund has part-funded the purchase of 347 Low Emission Buses in Scotland
You can help make a difference to…
- Give your car a day off – Walk, cycle or take public transport to work or school, or work from home if you can.
- Use fragrance free milder cleaning products
- Organise a walking bus to take your kids to school
- Burn only well seasoned wood or smokeless fuel at home
To add some fun to the day, we’re asking you to send us your photos on your commute tomorrow. Everyone that sends us a photo will be entered into a PRIZE DRAW to WIN a four week Ridacard.
You could be on the bus, at the bus stop or downloading your m-ticket bus ticket. The more creative the better!
What are you waiting for.