Following the announcement of a service change to our Lothian Country network earlier this month, we will also introduce a review of fare zones across West Lothian from Sunday 20 November.
As part of this review we will introduce an additional zone between East
Calder/Uphall and Livingston. At the same time we are reducing the cost of
travel in 3 zones to £2.80 with the result that customers in Broxburn, Uphall
and East Calder can now travel into Edinburgh for just £2.80 adult single.
Whitburn will move into zone CountryWest d.
Contactless capping, m-ticket bundles, Dayticket and NightTicket prices will remain unchanged.
Contactless capping remains the easiest way to pay for your fare – enjoy unlimited travel in all CountryWest zones for just £22 a week or unlimited travel in all zones and on all Lothian Buses city services for just £32 a week. Find out more at Fares & Tickets – Lothian Buses.
Frequently Asked Questions
We operate a zonal fare structure instead of point-to-point single fares – this makes it easier for our customers to find the single fare for any given journey in advance. Instead of every possible journey between two points having a different fare value, our fares depend on how many zones you travel in:
|Travel in 1 zone||£1.80|
|Travel in 2 or 3 zones||£2.80|
|Travel in 4 zones||£3.80|
|Travel in 5 zones||£4.80|
|Travel in 6 zones||£5.80|
We’ve changed the boundaries of some of the fare zones to align better with our revised network from 20th November, while also changing the price for travel across 3 zones which is now £2.80 (previously £3.80).
In summary, the impact of these zone changes on the Adult single fare include:
- Uphall, Broxburn, East Calder, Calderwood and Kirknewton to Edinburgh reduces to £2.80 (previously £3.80)
- East Calder, Calderwood and Kirknewton to Livingston increases to £2.80 (previously £1.80)
- Whitburn to Armadale or Bathgate increases to £2.80 (previously £1.80)
- Bathgate and Livingston to Edinburgh all remain the same fare
Our 5 day or 20 day countryWEST m-ticket bundles offer the best price for buy-in-advance travel – from £2.75 per day.
Capping gives you the convenience and flexibility of paying for single journeys as you go, knowing that you’ll never pay more than our equivalent day ticket or week price.
Travel on our network with TapTapCap using the same card or device and, if you make enough journeys, we’ll cap your fares up to the price of the equivalent day ticket. We also offer weekly caps for journeys from Monday through to Sunday – once you’ve hit the cap for that day or week, you won’t be charged for any further journeys you make!
lothianWEST Weekly Cap – £32.00
Record TapTapCap journeys anywhere on any Lothiancountry or Lothian service (including night & airport services) and pay no more than £32.00 a week.
|Journey 1||£3.80||£3.80||£3.80||No journeys made||£3.80||£1.20||FREE|
- Travel to and from Livingston and Edinburgh at least 5 days a week – a saving of £6.00. Any additional journeys in West Lothian or Edinburgh that week are free
- Travel to and from Whitburn and Edinburgh at least 4 days a week, and any additional journeys in West Lothian or Edinburgh that week are free
- Travel to and from Bathgate and Edinburgh at least 4 days a week, and any additional journeys in West Lothian or Edinburgh that week are free
countryWEST Weekly Cap – £22.00
|Journey 1||£2.80||No journeys made||£2.80||£2.80||£2.80||FREE||FREE|
Record TapTapCap journeys on any Lothiancountry service within West Lothian (including night services), and pay no more than £22.00 a week. For example:
- Travel to and from Bathgate and Broxburn at least 4 days a week, and any additional journeys in West Lothian that week are free
- Travel to and from Whitburn and Livingston at least 4 days a week, and any additional journeys in West Lothian that week are free
See lothianbuses.co.uk/contactless for more information about using contactless on our services.
We accept Visa and Mastercard (including Maestro) cards that display the contactless symbol, or that have been added to Apple Pay and Google Pay. Each physical card or device (smartphone, smartwatch etc) is treated as an individual account, so make sure to use the same card or device for each journey to benefit from capped fares.
We’ll normally try to settle most payments early in the morning the day after you’ve travelled, once we’ve added up the journeys taken in that day and applied any caps. Depending on your bank, this may take several working days to appear on your statement, but you can always check your charges against journeys on our customer portal or by contacting us.
Our Lothian Country m-ticket bundles are the cheapest way to pre-purchase travel on our network – we have bundles of 5 or 20 days for either West Lothian only (countryWEST) or West Lothian and Edinburgh which includes the full Lothian network (lothianWEST).
|5 x countryWEST||£19.50 (save 29%)|
|20 x countryWEST||£55.00 (save 50%)|
|5 x lothianWEST||£26.50 (save 33%)|
|20 x lothianWEST||£100 (save 37%)|